Monday, May 23, 2011

You look like your father

This weekend was great. On Friday, I really worked on  getting the house put together. By Saturday afternoon,I had unpacked two full bins of clothes. I sorted them into a yard sale pile, a keep to wear pile, and folded each piece. By the end of the day our bedroom was completely organized. I also began working more on the office setup and unpacked about 4 boxes. On Saturday morning, while Aden was at paintball with my brother and Dad, I got up to do my normal weekly clean and continued working on the office as well.My cousin,Ashton, stopped by for a visit early in the morning and helped fold clothes prior to her dance recital. When the boys returned from paintball, they jumped in the pool. I joined for a little while but got out shortly after and continued to work on the house. By afternoon the house was completely clean, dishes, done and the office was almost set up. Saturday evening, Aden, Nick, Mama, Daddy and I all ate hamburgers on the grill by the pool. We spent the time catching up, laughing, and just hanging out. At about 6:30 my cousin texted me that she had two free tickets to the movie and wanted me to go see the Pirates movie with her for free. I jumped at the chance and we ended the day with a fun girls night out. My husband and brother also went to the movies to see Thor. Little did I know that through all of this God was speaking.

On Sunday morning, Aden and I went to Sunday School, and attended the special Memorial day service at Bellview Baptist Church (our church). In Sunday School we discussed how as Christians we are to be like Christ and to focus on his plans for our life. What does he want for us? The lesson was perfect for what Aden and I are going through at this time in our life. Then, the memorial day service was a celebration of all our military. My husband was recognized as one of our veterans in the church, and was given a bible study book for veterans. The speaker, Terry Simmons, is the new head of Veterans affairs for SC,effective July 1, 20ll. He discussed his experiences at the Battle of Hamburger Hill in Vietnam as well as his difficult journey before receiving  his VA benefits. He revealed that he was one of only 6 survivors of the event, and had to appear before a Judge to receive his benefits. Therefore, he is now determined to help Veterans who are going through the experience and are treated unfairly. He and his wife have been married 43 years and have been through the uncertainties, struggles, love, and have trusted God together. He also had a yellow notebook to sign if you are a Veteran experiencing the same thing. We signed in bold black print.

Then, it hit me. God placed this weekend in our path for a reason. He is speaking to us, providing for us, giving us time with family, and he has everything handled. At the Veterans luncheon, Aden and I sat with my parents, and my dad's coworker. His coworker was visiting our church this week.. The guy said something that struck me, "You look so much like your dad". Although, I've heard this my whole life (It's so true), I started thinking about that sentence in two ways. My dad here on earth is a strong Christian man, and my mother is an amazing Christian woman. I am blessed to have them both in my life. I am also very  happy to favor both of them. However, in a Christian sense how much do I look like my heavenly father? Am I reflecting what he wants? Do my actions reflect him in this time of uncertainty in my life?  I know I am not perfect but I hope God uses my experiences during all of this to reflect him and to reach someone for his kingdom. I am looking forward to seeing what God has planned for us next. Some days keeping the faith is harder than others but for today I have peace.

1 John 2:15-17

15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[ is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment